Thursday, October 22, 2009

From old and drab to new and fab... Repost

This is a repost of one of my favorite redos.... I have several that I will be sharing soon.... I have LOTS up my sleeve! I'm linking to Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday.

Friends, you are looking at my first ever upholstery project.... It was hard as a MOJO, but it was well worth all the sanding, painting, cutting, cussing, stretching, cussing, sewing, cussing, and stuffing (cussing). This chair belonged to my great aunt and uncle, and I believe it is either from the 50's or 60's. It had a Broyhill label on the bottom seat.. If anyone knows more history about my chair feel free to chime in. Jenny took it after the aunt and uncle died, and she used it for a few years until she passed it onto me a year ago.... It's been in storage just waiting for it's grand redo!!!! Here she is:

Look how droopy and sad she looks with her ratty upholstery, missing button. and dull wood....

I had to rip off all the old (and YUCKY) upholstery from the arms... That stuff was gross, and trust me. The Broyhill people didn't shy away from staple use. This part and sanding took a good 3 hours or so.

Next came my FAVORITE part... The painting..... What did I use??? Yep, that's spray paint... Rustoleum in Antique White....a little tip from my friend, Centsational Girl....

The original cushions were NASTY. I mean disgusting..... I took the cushions out in the back yard with a big garbage bag. They actually disintegrated into a pile of 100 million little disgusting nasty pieces. Since I didn't have the cushions to use for a pattern I dissected the original cushions to make a pattern.... That fabric was SO DIRTY and GROSS.... Have I mentioned it was nasty??? Anyway, I traced around the pattern pieces onto the backside of my new fabric.... After that came all the cussing and trial and error....Making those cushions was A LOT harder than I imagined.....

BUT it was SO WORTH IT!!! Look at her now!!!! Isn't she fabulous????

I will have to admit that I've been a bit full of myself over this chair.... Even LOGAN said it is amazing!!!!

Back view.....
Close up of the back cushion...
I thought it needed a little contrast, so I recovered this old pillow I had.....
Here it is now....... I LOVE this fabric....
I need to work on some things to hang around it.... This place in my living room is tricky... THAT'S a story on it's on for another post later... Here she is in her new place of honor in our living room.....
I have been reading decorating blogs for a while but have been scared to take the plunge. People, I am afraid NO longer..... Next up is our master bedroom.... The walls are a chocolate brown, and I've bought some yummy french blue and brown fabric to make roman blinds, new bedding, and to RECOVER a small rocker.... I'm also going to repaint the bathroom to match and PAINT my dresser.... Oh, there are fun days ahead........ Let me know what you think of this redo.

36 comments:

Kate Riley said...

OH. MAH. GOOOOOOOODNESS. I love it. I am totally impressed. You are one brave cookie - that is awesome ! I am totally going to add this to my links page - that is one amazing transformation. You rock.

The Princess's Mommy said...

AMAZING!!!! You did a great job!!!! Can't wait to see the next project! WOW!!!

Monica

burpittyburp said...

AWESOME, WAY TO GO, ROCK ON, FABULOUS!!!!!
You are amazing!!!! LOVE it:)

Unknown said...

gorgeous!! wow!!!! you are a superwoman!! ;)

Laurie said...

It looks FABULOUS! Can't wait to see the French blue and brown! Candice Olsen would be so proud of your color choice! :)

LouLou said...

Awwww, thanks everybody..... I'm already planning a complete room redo......

theowensclan said...

WOW!! What a great job!! That is wonderful! You are so talented at everything you do!

Hannah said...

That is awesome! I am the queen of redo. I love to find vintage pieces and make them cool! I don't have the talent to reupholster but you obviously do!! Way to go Lou!

lynne said...

You are an amazing person.

nikki said...

Amazing chair makeover! That is a true trash to treasure!!!!

Kim W said...

The chair looks fabulous! I have a rocking chair of my great grandmothers. Maybe I need to load it up in the van and bring it to south Alabama!!!
Great job!

Anonymous said...

***Peels self from floor***
Are you for real?? You really DID that? I have no words. Unbelievable.
You really have talent- and stamina!

Anonymous said...

You've inspired me to do something productive this summer! It looks AWESOME!

beki said...

Wonderful re-do! I love refinishing furniture, when I have the energy.

Mary Ann said...

Love it! Great job!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

This is so gorgeous!! I'm actually rehabing a chair that is eerily similar to yours! I covered up the caning on the side of mine, but now I'm wishing I hadn't because yours loks so great!

Fawn said...

That chair is awesome! How did you learn how to upholster? Did you take a class? Thanks for sharing your beautiful transformation!

Anonymous said...

Your work looks fantastic!

LouLou said...

Thanks gals..... we are LOVING this chair... so comfy....Fawn, I have NO upholstery experience... I read some tutorials online, and that helped... I have already bought some cotton duck to make a slipcover for an old club chair I have and some other fabric for an upholstered rocker.... This summer is just crazy with the babies and 2 big boys home from school. I'm hoping I can get to it soon.....

Anonymous said...

Wow, wonderful makeover! I loooove the fabric you used, just goregous.

Amanda Michelle said...

OMG! What a transformation. I love it. Congrats on your first upholstery project. I have just started my blog, so I don't have any projects up yet, but soon. I have yet to try my hand at upholstery, but it's in the very near future. I can only hope for such a perfect first result!!

Pauline Wiles said...

I'm awfully late reading this post, but figured you could still use an extra pat on the back - this is totally gorgeous and the fabrics are soooo beautiful.

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

wow wow wow, i want one!! very nice job :)

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

I love the color choice - paint & fabric. We love Olivia in the background too :-)

Miss Mustard Seed said...

You are a miracle worker! I'm not sure I would've been brave enough to take that nasty looking thing into my house. Your sewing, fabric, and paint choices are gorgeous. And I love the French Provincial lines of this piece. I am so glad you linked up to my party. I'm following your blog, now, and I can't wait to see what else you do.

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said...

Wow! That's awesome!!! What a change! I found you from Miss Mustard Seed, and I have added your fab blog to my list of "blog jewels." GREAT makeover!

-Grace

Anonymous said...

Wow great job!! Came by via Miss Mustard Seeds post!

Tamera said...

Love, love, love it! I KNOW I wouldn't be brave enough...sewing straight lines is about all I can handle:)
It turned out fabulous!
Tamera@doubledelight

2sisters said...

Jumped over here from Miss Mustard Seeds....gorgeous!!!!

Tammy@InStitches said...

It looks soooo good..... way to go ! I just love your header by the way. I'm having a fabric giveaway so come on by and follow so you can win and do more projects ! ;)

The Feathered Nest said...

OMYGOODNESS!!! This is the most wonderful makeover EVER!! I love the fabric you chose and it looks absolutely professional!! Congratulations girl ~ I know you worked hard on it but it shows ~ xxoo, Dawn

Vee said...

Oh, great blog! Stumbled upon it just in time - I love the chair! Love the fabric. I'm a sucker for great Before and After's. =]

Vee
veronking2003.blogspot.com

Shanty 2 Chic said...

WOW! Seriously... wow!

~Whitney

Elder Esplin said...

Good work! It looks like you just brought it home from the store.

Unknown said...

Wow! What a transformation!

Rhonda said...

That is awesome! Wow!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails