Sunday, March 13, 2011

A little birdie told me… a fun spring wreath and a springy mantle

That sweet birdie told me that spring is here in the deep south. That was a message I was happy to hear. February and March have been an amazing time in Fairhope. Except for a handful of chilly days and nights winter escaped early and left us with 70’s for highs during the day. It’s been HEAVEN. As the bushes started blooming and everything was turning GREEN I realized how the outside of our home needed some fluffing…. Monday I’m going to share my new “entry way” makeover. You’re gonna have a fit… I’m so happy I’m giddy! Today I’m going to share the fun spring time wreath I made earlier this week.

I started thinking about doing something different for my wreath. I started looking through my craft stash and ran across all these Christmas ornaments that I didn’t have time to do anything with this past Christmas. They were those cheap wooden ornaments that you can get for $.15 each at Hobby Lobby when they’re on sale. I had bells, round shapes, and BIRDS! I knew right away what I would do.

Before I started I gave the ornaments a quick dose of Heirloom white spray paint. I wanted to use primer but didn’t have any. Next time I will make sure to spray them with primer to totally cover the black lines on the ornaments. I gathered these supplies: an old hymnal I bought for a $1, some of my favorite springy fabric scraps, modge podge, a pencil, scissors, and some upholstery thread.

DSCN2428

This is a simple project, but if anyone wants a tutorial I will be happy to write one. I traced my shapes on some music and fabric. I cut them out and modge podged them onto the front and back of the ornaments. These ornaments have small holes at the top, so I punched them out and strung some upholstery thread through them. For the round shapes that I covered in music I also cut out some of the flowers from my fabric and modge podged them to the centers.

DSCN2433

I let them dry overnight and embellished them the next day. I pulled out all my fun trims and just went to work. This part was so much fun!

I used rick rack, sequins, beads, buttons, and lace to embellish my shapes. When they were dry I just tied them onto the wreath.

DSCN2558

DSCN2557

DSCN2556

For the little guy below I gathered a little scrap of lace to make his wing and glued a little pearl on for his eye. He may be my favorite. It’s a tight race between him and the one directly above with the sequins.

DSCN2554

It was really difficult to get a full shot of my door. My photography skills leave A LOT to be desired! I am so happy with my wreath. It just screams SPRING to me! It makes me smile every time I walk through my front door.

DSCN2559

I bought some egg shapes to work on this weekend. I thought they would make a precious garland for my mantle.

DSCN2565

I think they will add a fun touch to the mantle. See my cutie bunnies from TJ Maxx? I love them! They remind me of a real chocolate Easter bunny.

DSCN2566

Yeah. This little stand was COVERED in Easter chocolates that matched everything perfectly. This is what I found this morning. Life with teenagers…. I had threatened their lives if they ate my chocolate, and you can see how seriously they take me. :)

DSCN2568

AND here are a few sneak peeks of my makeover I’m sharing Monday. Maybe they’ll get you in a springy mood too. :)

DSCN2560

DSCN2561

DSCN2562

DSCN2563

DSCN2564

Happy Weekend Peeps!Visit thecsiproject.com


http://thelifeofloulou.blogspot.com/2011/03/little-birdie-told-me-fun-spring-wreath.html

3 comments:

Ange said...

Cute ideas! Love the old window, I have several of those and one is on my mantle as well. Don't you just love them? I'm a little jealous that you have flowers already, I still have snow. Enjoy!!

Dawn said...

well i wish that little birdie would make it up here to the north :) all your stuff looks so springy! love the colors you used in your wreath!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Your weather sounds like spray painting weather to me! :) I LOVE your wreath embellishments!!! The pink birdie with the buttons is so cute. :)

Thanks so much for linking up to my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails