Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Santa Mantle

Merry Christmas! I love Christmas… Love love love. This year I wanted simple and traditional decorations… Lots of greenery with burlap and jute… I wanted it to feel comfortable and welcoming. This year is the first year that my girlies really “get” Christmas. They understand (as much as they can about Jesus) and love looking at the mangers… Anne Pearce came running in the living room after her bath the other night. She was totally naked except for a blanket wrapped all around her face. She looked at her daddy and said, “You Jesus. I da mama.” Priceless. They’re also understanding the whole “naughty vs. nice” deal and their friend Bobby, the elf on the shelf. They’re so excited, and I wanted to do the mantle for THEM. Now mind you, I love me some Santa… I have a thing for him. I’ve collected Santas for years and pick up at least one new one per season. Since we didn’t have a mantle at all last year (no fireplace) I was so excited to be able to decorate this precious one my hubby built. (You can read about that here.) Here’s my final result. The girls LOVE it, and I’m very happy with the way it turned out.

As you can see Santa reigns on this mantle.

007

Doesn’t matter that we lost the Iron Bowl. Santa still says, “ROLL TIDE”!

009

I made a garland out of a piece of Hobby Lobby greenery, upholstery webbing, and jute twine. I love the vintage rustic look it gives the mantle and the way it compliments the stained wood mantle.

010 

This mantle is loaded down with our traditional needlepoint stockings. The girls love identifying whose is whose. It’s funny, because when they get to mine they say it’s Lou Lynn’s. Not mamas. I asked if the Santa was Andrew Lynn’s. Nope. It’s Daddy’s.

017

I layered mirrors with candles to give the fireplace a glow. We have some lights in the top, and they really look pretty together.

018

My mama got be this fabulous hurricane from the shop where she works. The candle holder comes out, so you can fill the bottom with seasonal items… No fear of anything catching on fire here.

021

035

I got the candy canes at the same shop. They have stakes on them, so they’re easy to stick anywhere.

036

I love that crazy looking short and fat Santa. He cracks me up.

042

I wanted some real firewood, so I loaded up my antique coal bucket. It makes it feel more authentic. I told Andrew that I wish we could light some up in the fireplace. :)

030

Another view of the coal bucket with the candles and mirrors.

 032

Don’t those 2 tall skinny Santas look like they were made to stand there?

033

A side view. I really love the webbing tied on the garland.

045

One last view.

019

We love the warmth and dimension our fake fireplace has given our living room. It was so much fun to decorate for Christmas, and I really enjoy sitting with my girls and just enjoying the view.

love and hugs.

Linking to:


The Lettered Cottage

9 comments:

DIYbyDesign said...

Beautiful job.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Beautiful!! Love the Santas and the upholstery webbing! Looks FAB!

Lou Cinda :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

So glad to see you are enjoying your mantel, Lou Lynn! I think this was just the right time of year for you and hubby to put this together.

Julie Harward said...

I love it! It looks real and I love how you have decorated it...I think we have the same stockings too ;D

La said...

Your mantel is so sweet. Love the portrait of Santa. Merry Christmas! La

jerriann said...

I love Santa's, I have a nice size collection of them too. I love your mantle and the way you decorated the firebox. It looks lovely.

Merry Christmas.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That is the cutest Santa mantel. Love the traditional look of it. Thanks so much for joining the party!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I love your Santa mantle!!!I love traditional and to me Santa is a traditional as you can get. I like the firebox, too!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The colors make the whole room look so pretty! I love your stockings! I have never seen so many beautiful stockings hung together! Happy holidays! ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails