Friday, November 13, 2009

The best lookin’ $40 I’ve ever seen

I am SO in LOVE with my newest project that I HAD to share pictures with you IMMEDIATELY. People! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE is pouring through my veins for this wall art. I got this vinyl monogram about 6 weeks ago from A Hint of Chic Boutique. With shipping it was $25. You’re supposed to put these babies directly on the wall, but I am too cheap fickle for that.I saw over on Joys of Home that she didn’t want to have hers in such a permanent place either….. I’ve known for a while what I WANTED to do with it. First I considered painting a large canvas then applying it…. I was worried it wouldn’t be smooth enough for the decal. I wanted something that I could change here and there. Then it hit me…..



101_1393



I’ve had this idea brewing for a while….. I’ve been searching at GW and Sister Julie’s every week with no luck for a frame with glass big enough for this decal. This week I headed to the good ol’ Hobby Lobby to search for my frame. They had the wall frames with glass on for 50% off…. That would put me around $25….Not bad, but I really didn’t want to pay that. I went back to that section at least 4 times last night….looking and looking again…..Then I started digging. I found an 18x24 in an ugly dark finish with a ding on it. I took it up to the counter and demanded asked the manager sweetly if she would consider a larger discount on this one , since it was in SUCH BAD SHAPE. She knocked another 10% off, so I got this big baby for $15! SCORE. I brought it home, sanded it, and rolled on a couple of coats of Behr’s antique white. After that dried I glazed it up with Ralph Lauren’s smoke glaze (thanks Shanty2Chic).



101_1500



I then covered the cardboard that came in the frame with a scrap piece of burlap that I had laying around from another project….. My handy dandy Andrew CAREFULLY placed the decal on the glass for me, and I slapped that baby back together…. I think I cried when I looked at it put together for the first time….. Ohhhhhhhhh, come to mama, baby!



101_1502



Pardon me while I go dance around my bed for a bit ;) Dance dance dance….sing sing sing…..



101_1503



This is the view from the door of our bedroom…. Don’t you like that sock sticking out from under my bed and the white pillow that still needs a cover? Real life, people. Real life. I absolutely LOVE it above my bed. I’ve been adding more antique white pieces in the room to pull it all together. The beauty of this is that I can change the entire look of the piece by swapping out the burlap with another piece of fabric. The possibilities are endless….. That’s my kinda art people….Gorgeous and cheap. Fabulous and thrifty…. Pardon me while I wipe another tear from my eye…. ;)



101_1504

love and hugs,

Linked to:
Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday
and
It's so Very Cheri's It's so very Creative Party



I linked this to Show and Tell Friday, Frugalicious Friday, and

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Linked to:
Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday
and
It's so Very Cheri's It's so very Creative Party

37 comments:

Jona Giammalva said...

My bed is almost identical to yours! I seriously needed to see a pretty room like this (mine is depressing). It gives me hope.

LouLou said...

Jona,
I have spent less than $200 on a complete redo....new shams for my pillows, $39 quilt from TJMaxx, the new fabulous artwork, and a few thrifty finds here and there....I used drop cloths to make drapes...love them. I guess a full tour is coming up soon, since I'm almost done.

Mandy said...

I LOVE this idea! What a great gift as well.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I love it too! And it looks fabulous over your bed.

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Wiping tears from my eyes too. It is stunning, my friend! Your room is lookin FABULOUS! Can't wait for the full tour. But I sure wish I could see it in person!

Love you
~Amanda

p.s. Sorry I missed your call tonight. It was a crazy, funny farm kinda night!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

This is absolutely gorgeous - I love it! Great idea and fabulous price!

Suzanne said...

Love it. Make me one. PLEASEEEEEE

mother of three fellas said...

Love it, and your room is amazing!:)

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Wow, what a gorgeous bedroom!!! I really like the idea of putting the vinyl cling on burlap and framing it!! The pillows on your bed are amazing. I love the fabric!!

Unknown said...

Love WALL ART, or vinyl! BEAUTIFUL room. P.S. I found you through Amanda of Imperfectly Beautiful. Have a great day. I will now follow you too!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks great - thanks for sharing.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Loulou...

Fabulous...simply fabulous!!! I love your new "initial" wall art...you are so clever!!! It looks absolutely gorgeous above that beautiful bed of yours!!! I certainly can see why you were doing the happy dance! hehe! By the way...your bedroom is absolutely scrumptious!!! I love the color and your bed is sooo beautiful! I love, love, LOVE how you did the pretty plates above the bed tables!!! I love your style, my friend!!!

Thank you for sharing your creativity and talents with us today...and that yummy bedroom!!! What a treat!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Loulou...

Just lil' ol' me again! Hehe! Just had to come back and leave you a comment. I've had so much fun snooping around your delightful blog! I love your style, my friend! You have a beautiful home and I love all of the projects that you've been doing! Also really enjoyed seeing your beautiful clothing creations for your two precious daughters!!! I have three daughters...married with families of their own but I sewed all of their clothing as they were growing up...just seeing all of your sewing projects sure brought back many, many happy memories for me!

Anyway...wanted to let you know that I'm adding your delightful blog to my list of blog follows and I'm looking forward to getting to know you, my friend!

So very nice to meet you, Loulou!
Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Rachel said...

I LOVE it!!! I want one! Your bedroom is fabulous! If you have a chance please check out my chair redo.
Rachel@ Simply Rachel

KimMalk said...

@Cheap Chic Home. I can see why you're dancing around--love it! Oh, and I love the fabric on your pillow shams. (Did I use the word love too often?)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

The picture is in the perfect spot! I just love how you've displayed it and suits your bedroom to perfection.

What a great room!!

Thanks for linking up to SNS #5!

Funky Junk Donna

Gina Sisco said...

Awesome bedroom, love your new art, and that bed, man I want it!! Just found you, will be back.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Love that you used the burlap for the background...looks really nice in your room! Hope you have a FUN week.

Blessings,
Linda

Its So Very Cheri said...

I LOVE IT. Please post to my party Its So Very Creative--I love the color combo as well. Great Job.
Folloing you,
Cheri

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

nice job! beautiful room, love your bed!
gail

Anonymous said...

Great job, it looks wonderful!!

Dena Pickle said...

Loving it! and your bed is awesome too!
Dena
sweetpicklesandchocolate

following you-follow me too!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Oh yeah! This looks FAB!!! Love it!

I love your bedroom too!! Gorgeous!

Lou Cinda :)

Shirley said...

First off, your room is fabulous! And the monogram looks wonderful with the burlap background and framed!! I'm always afraid to put something permanent somewhere too. I change my mind way too much. I once exchanged drapes 5 times before I finally liked them!!!!

nannykim said...

It is really nice and it is amazing what it does for the room---smack,dab,dandy!

http://spindlecottage.blogspot.com/

Sedona @ MyDivineDelights said...

Love it! Love it love it LOOOOOVVVVEEE it! (you must read that in song form!) I'm soooooo stealing that! It's just the perfect touch for over the bed! :)

Katie @ Team Skelley said...

Girl, that is amazing! And I love your bedroom. I was looking at the pic and just got an "Aha!" moment. We only have one bedside table too- and it is on Marc's side because he needs the alarm clock more. I can put a round table on my side. Genius! Thank you for the idea! :D

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a great idea and it is gorgeous! Not only can you swap out the fabric, but it makes it easy to move to another room {or house}.

Lisa said...

Genious, pure lovely eye candy genious! I have contemplated getting one of those designs, but too fearful to commit to a wall. This fits the bill nicely. Thanks for sharing and your room is so peaceful and elegant, you should be VERY proud of yourself indeed!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

That is a great idea!! I have always been a little hesitant about vinyl on the wall but I love this idea!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!! I am drooling over your bedroom right now....and about to head to mine to make it pretty! :) I've come to know that a white matelasse can go a LOOOOOONG way! :) LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! You have totally inspired me all over again!

hjn said...

Just beautiful and a most perfect spot indeed!
Mama Holli

Delightful Dwelling said...

It looks great, so pretty!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

What a great idea! And your bedroom is beautiful! I like the sock peeking out!

Reid said...

I LOVE this idea and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your bedroom. The colors are amazing!!!!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Just found your wonderful site through Kathy's...love it!

I love this idea...so beautiful and creative...great job!

Enjoy!
XOXO
Cathy

Unknown said...

I LOVE this idea!! Could you tell me the dimensions of the frame?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails